A deaf elderly man dies in a house fire which also injured his daughter. She was located in the next house with burns and was taken to the hospital. Her condition was unknown.
Henry Wayne Webb was deaf and legally blind. He died at University of Cincinnati Medical Center, WXIX Channel 19 reports. He was found by firefighters on the first floor of the home, which is located in the city’s Carthage neighborhood.
Firefighters tell WLWT Channel 5 they responded to the fire at the two-story home at 3:30 a.m. Sunday.
District 3 Fire Chief Rob McWilliams tells WXIX that firefighters were hindered because of hoarding conditions inside the home.
“They basically were hoarders, top to bottom everywhere,” he said. “It was very full with boxes and clothing and everything they collected over the multiple years they lived there. There were basically just walkways through the rooms. There was a lot of stuff.”
Neighbors tell WLWT they tried to get inside the home to help Webb but were pushed back because of the unsafe conditions.